We’ve thought about it for quite a while, and tried to keep the secret but we just had to share it with you. That’s right, THE place where we love to ski when we have time to kill in spring, when a lunchbreak on the slopes turns out into half a day skiing, we just couldn’t keep it for ourselves, or could we?
So, come with us and discover the breathtaking valleys and mountains of Cervières & the Izoard mountain pass near Briançon, where cyclist congregate in the summer, this is where we have fun in wintertime. This one of the most beautiful valleys, it's steeped in tradition and culture where architecture harks back to old days and fortresses tell of conflicts long settled.
Amidst this stunning nature and culture, our hotel is located in a haven of peace and is almost as charming as the surrounding wilderness, not to forget to mention the incredibly warm welcome of our hosts.
This long weekend is ideal for those wishing to discover ski touring in an idyllic and unspoilt surrounding.
- an ideal trip for first timers
- this mountain range gets heaps the sun, even in winter
- expert mountain guide advice, perfect to progress rapidly
- accomodation in a genuine mountain village
- traditional food is on offer as well as a warm welcome
- easy access with the Paris-Milano TGV and get off the Oulx train station, where we pick you up with our minibus
Get together at the Oulx train station. Then we head off to Montgenèvre ski resort on the France-Italy border. The day will be spent getting the lay of the land; the guide will teach or go over the necessary safety techniques. If weather permits we take an off piste itinerary to reach our gite in Cervières. We picnic at lunchtime and have dinner at the gîte.
Ascent/descent: + 400/- 400 m
Meals included: picnic and dinner
Accomodation included: gîte
We have breakfast and walk to the Izoard Chalets (2190 m) through the woods, a small tradional hamlet at the foot of the famous mountain pass. From there, we climb the last slopes that lead to the Ourdeïs mountain pass, just a stone’s throw away from the Queyras nature reserve.
Ascent/descent: +/- 700 m
Meals included: breakfast, picnic and dinner
Accomodation included: gîte
After breakfast we go touring in the Piemont valleys on the France-Italy border. There we climb up the Cîme Saurel (2449 m) where we have spectacular views over the Fonts valley and its' traditional hamlets and the entire Sestrières valley. Then there's one last descent to wrap up the trip in a truly memorable way. We head back to the gîte to pick up our luggage and take those who have a train to catch back to the station in Briançon or Oulx.
Altitude variation: +/- 800m
Meals included: breakfast and picnic
Please note this itinerary is an example of a skitouring discovery weekend with Azimut and should only be used as a guide. The weather conditions on the mountain or participants skills and stamina may require the guide changes the itinerary or inverse the itinerary. We kindly as you to request such decision. We may also have to change accomodation, with the same standard, due logistics and/or availability.
Please be wearing your ski outfit upon arrival.
We always do our best, but we can't guarantee the exact time of arrival at the train station (due to traffic or weather conditions). Therefore we strongly advise you to buy train tickets that can easily be modified. If you're travelling by car, we'll meet you at the arrival point, or at one of the drop of points where you'll be able to leave your car for the entire trip.
The last day, we try to make it back to Oulx by 5 pm, but we cannot guarantee this.
Train & TGV access: www.voyages-sncf.com
Car access: www.mappy.fr
Car sharing: www.blablacar.fr
Free public parking can be found in Briançon and Oulx (both unattended) or just in front of our accommodation.
The slopes may have some short steep passages. You should be at ease with ski touring techniques and skiing on all types of snow. We may also ski on glacier terrain. You should master uphill kick turns without hesitation.
Good physical condition is required, some uphill sections may have to be done on foot. Ascents and descents vary from 800 to 1000 metres per day. Depending on the chosen itinerary, there may be two outings per day. If you're eager you can continue skiing, if you're tired you can rest and relax.
Good to know: if you don't have the level required, the guide will be able to ask you to leave for the well-being of the rest of the group if necessary. If any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask us !
5 to 8 participants
Bring a small day pack large enough to carry your personal belongings for the day such as (extra) layers, a few snacks, your picnic and security equipment.
Considering the itinerary may be modified due to mountain and snow conditions, ski lift fares are not included in the price. The definite day to day itinerary will depend on local conditions. For this trip you should budget approx € .... for ski lift fares.
The price includes
- Trip logistics & organisation upon arrival
- All minibus transfers upon arrival from one of the indicated meeting points
- 5 nights accommodation on half-board basis and picnics for 6 days
- Safety & rescue equipment training/reviewing
- Certified and expert mountain guide services (including all his expenses: meals, accommodation, transportation, ski lift fares)
- Safety & rescue equipment sets are provided (tracking device, shovel and probe), if you don't have your own gear
- Harness for glacier use
- Extra fees for Xmas & New-Year
- AZIMUT welcome pack
The price does not include
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Ski lift fares
- Gear rental if required
- Personal insurance
- Drinks (including those with meals at the hotel), personal extras, and any other expenses not mentioned under the above section “the price includes”
A 30% deposit, as well as the insurance cost if you choose to subscribe the latter, is required to secure your booking. You will receive a reminder email 35 days prior to departure for the outstanding balance due latest 30 days prior to departure.
We strongly recommend you to be properly insured for the chosen activity. You should be covered for medical expenses, personal accident & liabilité, third party risks and rescue (helicopter), as well as trip cancellation or curtailment.
Repatriation and research insurance are mandatory when booking a trip with Azimut. We have a full range of Europ Assistance insurances on offer to suit the trip you select and the risks that it may incur.
Tipping is no obligation. However participants usually hand round an envelope for those who wish to tip the guide.
Azimut's minibus is used throughout the whole trip. Not only does this make the trip easier, but it also makes it more pleasant and open: we can chat, sleep and listen to our own music !
During the trip
Depending on the size of group, you may share a room with someone of the opposite sex.
- Half board in a gite, shared showers and toilets. Bed sheets, linen and towels supplied.
- Hotel room option with private bathroom and toilets: subject to availability. Single supplement: € 140 per person, double room supplement: € 120 per person
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner: we have breakfasts and dinners at the gite, and provide picnics for lunch. Picnics consist of good quality products including ham, cheese, bread, a chocolate bar and a piece of fruit or a compote
- Snacks: to boost your energy we've chosen to provide Mulebars, tasty and top quality organic energy bars, no additives, coloring nor conservatives.
Before & after ski touring trips
Once we've received your booking, we'll provide you with a list of accommodation in case you need to book a night before or after the trip. All accommodation listed is close to the meeting points. You may often benefit from preferential rates.
In case of emergency or delay, you can either contact your guide (a phone number will be provided before departure) or contact Azimut on: (+ 33) 04 92 23 07 24.
Please inform your friends and family with these details before departure.
Wifi is free of charge in our accommodation.
Good mobile & 4G coverage.
If you book a trip with Azimut, you'll get a 10% discount code on your confirmation page that you can use at our friends Glisshop.
Just go straight to glisshop.com ! Established in 1996, our partner stands as a leader for online winter sports equipment. Based in the centre of the volcanoes of Auvergne (France), they help every passionate skier and powder addict to find the gear they need by offering a huge and unique choice of clothing and gear available throughout Europe.
With close to 250 brands and 10 000 items for sale, Glisshop simply is the ideal partner to equip you from head to toe whathever activity may be your preference.
Don't forget to:
- Leave contact details with your friends and family
- Bring your papers and I.D. (passport and visa if necessary)
- Bring your contract number and documents related to your insurance (if you've chosen not to have insure coverage through Azimut)
- Bring your “carte vitale” and your European health card (EU member states) - if you don't have one you can order one free of charge online www.ameli.fr
- Check that you have the right equipment
- Take spare batteries and a charger for your electronic devices (camera, video recorder, tracking devices etc)
- Bring some cash and your credit card
- Bring a delicacy from your home country or area to share with the group
- Leave in a good frame of mind: we're going to have a great time even if we happen to not make it to the summit !
- Before leaving: water the plants, empty the rubbish bin, turn off water and gas, and tell your partner that you're going to have a good time (please not by text message), that you've well deserved... If you don't follow the latter recommendation, you'll most probably kick yourself when you get back !
See you on the slopes !
Have great runs with AZIMUT !