You're a beginner in mountain biking ? You wish to gain in confidence and learn the basic techniques so you can join the exclusive local mountain bikers club ? This introductory course in Serre Chevalier is made for you !
This 3 day course in Serre Chevalier valley is a perfect blend of enduro and all mountain. We're here to have fun and learn, and don't spend hours on uphills in the blazing sun. Nope, our shuttle bus will take us to the best riding areas. During this intriductory course, your outstanding mountain biking instructor will give all required tools to progress. You'll get customised advice on adequate terrain and will even be entitled to video sessions !
The aim is not to master a back flip at the end of the trip, it's just to give a mad desire to get back on your bikes asap.
We don't neglect recovery from a hard day's riding, and if your brain, instead of your legs, starts to overheat, we've reserved time for a drink at the end of the day on the gite's sunny terrace.
- Discover the mountain biking universe
- Learn all the basic mountain biking skills on an instructive approach by a qualified french guide
- Van drops: more time for long descent
- A wide variety of single trail tracks in a magnificent setting ideal for an introductory course
- Comfortable guest house
Day 1 - Let's introduce ourselves whilst mountain biking
forthe first day of this introductory course in Serre Chevalier, we meet up either at the train station in Briançon or in Oulx-Cesana (TGV). Transfer to Briançon for a first approach of our gear and technical aspects related to all mountain mountain biking. The rest of the morning will be spent on acclimitisation and nutrition, propulsion and uphill performance. After a nice half days warming up we set off for Serre Chevalier valley to put all this into practice on the mythical Chemin du Roy !
Meals included: picnic and dinner
Accomodation included: gîte
Day 2 - 100% downhill
We set off for Serre Chevalier and Montgenèvre for an approach of descent techniques and to try to let go our brakes.
Cable cars only run from
- 30/06 to 02/09/19 for Serre Chevalier
- 23/06 to 09/09/19 for Montgenèvre
Out of these dates, a minibus will takes us up the mountain as high as possible.
Meals included: breakfast, picnic and dinner
Accomodation included: gîte
Day 3 - All mountain mountain biking
Transfer by minibus for a day spent discovering the Vauban forts that are located high up in the mountains. Uphills on not too technical large tracks lead to single trail tracks (mountain bikers' and wild trail runners white gold).
After a few days training and a good days pratice, it's time to break up...
Meals included: breakfast and picnic
Please note this is an example of an introductory mountain biking course. The guide may adjust certain itineraries according to weather conditions, cable cars and mountain hut accessibilty as well as participants' abilities. We kindly ask you to respect such decision.
In case practices and customs defined by the local authorities change, estimating the reasonable number of clients per guide, for safety reasons, Azimut respects these, even last minute, decisions and recommendations. Such cases are rare and mostly related to exceptional conditions in the mountains. Therefore some compensation may be requested from your side due to less participants per guide.
Please wear your cycling clothes on day 1.
We always do our best, but can't guarantee the exact time of arrival at the train station (due to traffic or weather conditions). Therefore we strongly recommend you to buy train tickets that can easily be modified. If you're travelling by car, we'll meet you at the one of the indicated meeting points, or at one of the drop of points where you'll be able to leave your car during the entire trip.
Train & TGV access: www.voyages-sncf.com
Make sure the train you're interested in, is welcoming mountain bikes.
Car access: www.mappy.fr
Car sharing: www.blablacar.fr
Public parking free of charge can be found in Briançon and Oulx (both unattended).
You should be at ease with long and demanding descents. The technical level is progressive over the week, and maybe demanding at times or even exposed but rarely dangerous.
Approx 4 - 5 hrs uphill, about + 1000 m, and some climbs may require you to carry your bike very occassionally (but there may be no other way round !).
Good to know: If you haven't got the level required, the guide will be able to ask you to leave for the well-being of the rest of the group. If any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask us!
5 to 7 participants
Azimut mountain bike instructor & guide.
Bring a small day pack large enough to carry your personal belongings for the day such as (extra) layers, a few snacks, your picnic and a repair kit.
The price includes
- Trip arrangements & organisation upon arrival
- Minibus transfers upon arrival at one of the indicated meeting points
- Luggage transfers with our minibus and private driver
- Accomodation on half-board basis in a gîte
- Azimut mountain biking guide services for the entire trip (including all his expenses: meals, accomodation, transportation)
The price does not include
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Gear rental if required
- Personal insurance
- Drinks (including those with meals at the hotel) and personal extras
- Any other expenses not mentioned under the above section “the price includes”
A 30% deposit, as well as the insurance cost if you choose to subscribe the latter, is required to secure your booking. You will receive a reminder email 35 days prior to departure for the outstanding balance due latest 30 days prior to departure.
We strongly recommend you to be properly insured for the chosen activity. You should be covered for medical expenses, personal accident & liabilité, third party risks and rescue (helicopter), as well as trip cancellation or curtailment.
Repatriation and research insurance are mandatory when booking a trip with Azimut. We have a full range of Europ Assistance insurances on offer to suit the trip you select and the risks that it may incur.
Tipping is no obligation. However participants usually hand round an envelope for those who wish to tip the guide.
Azimut's minibus is used throughout the whole trip. Not only does this make the trip easier, but it also makes it more pleasant and open: we can chat, sleep and listen to our own music. If luggage transfers are necessary, you have the possibility to use the transfer if you're tired and for any other reason.
Hotels and meals during the trip
- Depending on the size of group, you might end up sharing a room with someone of the opposite sex
- Half board in a cosy gite. Dorms with 4-6 beds. Bed sheets are supplied, towels are not supplied. Bring a sleeping bag liner.
- Breakfasts and dinners are served at the gite, and we provide picnics for lunch. Picnics consist of good quality products: charcuterie, cheese, bread, a chocolate bar and a piece of fruit or a compote.
- Snacks: details are important ! To boost your energy we've chosen to provide Mulebar, tasty and great quality cereal bars.
- For certain trips, it's possible to book a single or double room if available, with surcharge.
Accomodation before & after bike trips
Once we've received your booking, we'll provide you with a list of accomodation in case you need to book accomodation before or after the trip. All accomodation on the list is close to the meeting points and you may often benefit from preferential rates.
In case of emergency or delay, you can either contact your guide (a phone number will be provided before departure) or contact Azimut on: (+ 33) 04 92 23 07 24.
Please inform your friends and family with these details before departure.
Wifi is available in most places.
Unreliable mobile & 4G coverage.
Don't forget to
- Leave contact details with your friends and family
- Bring your papers and I.D. (passport and visa if necessary)
- Bring your contract number and documents related to your insurance (if you've chosen not to have insure coverage with us)
- Bring your “carte vitale” and your European health card (EU member states) - if you don't have one you can order one for free online www.ameli.fr
- Check that you have the right equipment
- Take spare batteries and a charger for your electronic devices (camera, video recorder, tracking devices etc)
- Bring some cash and your credit card
- Bring a delicacy from your home country or area to share with the group
- Leave in a good frame of mind: we're going to have a great time even if we may not happen to not make it to the summit !
- Before leaving: water the plants, empty the rubbish bin, turn off water and gas, and tell your partner that you're going to have a good time (please not by text message), that you've well deserved... If you don't follow the latter recommendation, you'll most probably kick yourself when you get back!
We look forward to seeing you !
Have great runs with AZIMUT !