- Welcoming and comfortable accomodation
- Easy access: on the Paris - Milano TGV to Oulx, where we pick you up in our minibus
- No hassle, just relax: our minibus takes us around and about; if you've rented gear it'll be delivered at the start of the trip
- No booking fees
Welcome to our home place!!
Please be wearing your ski outfit upon arrival.
We always do our best, but we can't guarantee the exact time of arrival at the train station (due to traffic or weather conditions). Therefore we strongly advise you to buy train tickets that can easily be modified. If you're travelling by car, we'll meet you at the arrival point, or at one of the drop of points where you'll be able to leave your car for the entire trip.
The last day, we try to make it back to Oulx by 5 pm, but we cannot guarantee this.
Train & TGV access: www.voyages-sncf.com
Car access: www.mappy.fr
Car sharing: www.blablacar.fr
Free public parking can be found in Briançon and Oulx (both unattended) or just in front of our accommodation.
The slopes may have some short steep passages. You should be at ease with ski touring techniques and skiing on all types of snow. We may also ski on glacier terrain. You should master uphill kick turns without hesitation.
Good physical condition is required, some uphill sections may have to be done on foot. Ascents and descents vary from 800 to 1000 metres per day. Depending on the chosen itinerary, there may be two outings per day. If you're eager you can continue skiing, if you're tired you can rest and relax.
Good to know: if you don't have the level required, the guide will be able to ask you to leave for the well-being of the rest of the group if necessary. If any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask us !
5 to 8 participants
Bring a small day pack large enough to carry your personal belongings for the day such as (extra) layers, a few snacks, your picnic and security equipment.
Considering the itinerary may be modified due to mountain and snow conditions, ski lift fares are not included in the price. The definite day to day itinerary will depend on local conditions. For this trip you should budget approx € .... for ski lift fares.
The price includes
- Trip logistics & organisation upon arrival
- All minibus transfers upon arrival from one of the indicated meeting points
- 5 nights accommodation on half-board basis and picnics for 6 days
- Safety & rescue equipment training/reviewing
- Certified and expert mountain guide services (including all his expenses: meals, accommodation, transportation, ski lift fares)
- Safety & rescue equipment sets are provided (tracking device, shovel and probe), if you don't have your own gear
- Harness for glacier use
- Extra fees for Xmas & New-Year
- AZIMUT welcome pack
The price does not include
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Ski lift fares
- Gear rental if required
- Personal insurance
- Drinks (including those with meals at the hotel), personal extras, and any other expenses not mentioned under the above section “the price includes”
A 30% deposit, as well as the insurance cost if you choose to subscribe the latter, is required to secure your booking. You will receive a reminder email 35 days prior to departure for the outstanding balance due latest 30 days prior to departure.
We strongly recommend you to be properly insured for the chosen activity. You should be covered for medical expenses, personal accident & liabilité, third party risks and rescue (helicopter), as well as trip cancellation or curtailment.
Repatriation and research insurance are mandatory when booking a trip with Azimut. We have a full range of insurances on offer to suit the trip you select and the risks that it may incur.
Tipping is no obligation. However participants usually hand round an envelope for those who wish to tip the guide.
Azimut's minibus is used throughout the whole trip. Not only does this make the trip easier, but it also makes it more pleasant and open: we can chat, sleep and listen to our own music !
During the trip
Depending on the size of group, you may share a room with someone of the opposite sex.
- Half board in a gite, shared showers and toilets. Bed sheets, linen and towels supplied.
- Hotel room option with private bathroom and toilets: subject to availability. Single supplement: € 140 per person, double room supplement: € 120 per person
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner: we have breakfasts and dinners at the gite, and provide picnics for lunch. Picnics consist of good quality products including ham, cheese, bread, a chocolate bar and a piece of fruit or a compote
- Snacks: to boost your energy we've chosen to provide Mulebars, tasty and top quality organic energy bars, no additives, coloring nor conservatives.
Before & after ski touring trips
Once we've received your booking, we'll provide you with a list of accommodation in case you need to book a night before or after the trip. All accommodation listed is close to the meeting points. You may often benefit from preferential rates.
In case of emergency or delay, you can either contact your guide (a phone number will be provided before departure) or contact Azimut on: (+ 33) 04 92 23 07 24.
Please inform your friends and family with these details before departure.
Wifi is free of charge in our accommodation.
Good mobile & 4G coverage.
Make sure to wear bright colours, it's good for the soul and gives photos a funky edge !
Ski gear (all in excellent condition)
- Ski touring skis with appropriate bindings. We recommend freeride type skis so you can enjoy skiing powdery descents and skiing on all types of snow
- Ski skins
- Ski crampons (i.e. "couteaux")
- Ski poles
- Ski touring boots
- Avalanche kit: transceiver, shovel and probe (please let us know if you have your own, if not we lend them for free)
- 35 litre backpack
Security advice: avalanche airbag backpacks are highly recommended.
They help to stay on the surface in case of avalanche and minimize the risk of burial. Our guides use them and we highly recommend you to opt for high quality and reliable gear. If you don't have an avalanche airbag we rent them out at a very competitive price.
If you don't have the adequate equipment for the trip, don’t worry and travel light: we rent out the required gear and hand it over at the start of the trip ! Our equipment is relatively new, if not brand new, of good quality and adapted to your choice of activity.
Prices of rental equipment during the entire trip (these competitive prices only take into account the number of days of the trip):
Full Pack (ski, boots, skins, ski-crampons, poles)
Skis (skis, skins, poles, ski-crampons)
You can choose to rent equipment when booking your trip, or lateron by clicking on “my account”. If any of the equipment that you’ve chosen is out of stock you’ll be notified and reimbursed.
This list of clothes is designed to give you an idea of clothes it may be a good to have with you. By no means do you need to have the latest brands or the latest gear, but if you need to renew your wardrobe, this guide would be a good start.
- Warm hat or buff/scarf
- Ski goggles (2 pairs) and sunglasses: UV factory 4 protective lenses. Photochromic glasses adapt to light intensity and are very useful
- Helmet (strongly recommended)
- Under layer: breathable long sleeved tops to maintain heat. A tip: merino wool is breathable and has anti-bacterial properties and is therefore less likely to smell as opposed to synthetic fabrics. Take this into consideration if you need to update your wardrobe.
- Middle layer: a light polar or synthetic jacket for an extra layer of heat during breaks
- Outer layer: a Gore-tex or similar type of jacket with a breathable waterproof membrane. Make sure it's lightweight and compact so it doesn't take up too much space in your backpack
- Bottom layer: trousers with a breathable waterproof membrane (Gore Tex or similar) with long side zips allowing air to flow, recommended on climbs
- Hands: light fleece or soft shell gloves, a pair of silk glove liners to go underneath, warm gloves with a breathable and waterproof membrane. Mittens are always a good idea for really cold days of for those of you who feel the cold !
- Swimming gear: it takes up such little space, it would be a shame not to bring it just in case. Avoid swimming shorts or bermudas, they are not usually allowed.
- Ski socks: merino wool socks are breathable and have anti-bacterial properties and are less likely to smell as opposed to those made of synthetic fabrics. Think about them if you need to stock up.
- Slippers recommended for evening wear. Try charentaises they’re really comfortable !
Odds & ends
Toiletries and first aid kit
- Personal toilet bag
- To make up a first aid kit, please find all relevant information on the Ifremmont website.
If you book a trip with Azimut, you'll get a 10% discount code on your confirmation page that you can use at our friends Glisshop.
Just go straight to glisshop.com ! Established in 1996, our partner stands as a leader for online winter sports equipment. Based in the centre of the volcanoes of Auvergne (France), they help every passionate skier and powder addict to find the gear they need by offering a huge and unique choice of clothing and gear available throughout Europe.
With close to 250 brands and 10 000 items for sale, Glisshop simply is the ideal partner to equip you from head to toe whathever activity may be your preference.
Don't forget to:
- Leave contact details with your friends and family
- Bring your papers and I.D. (passport and visa if necessary)
- Bring your contract number and documents related to your insurance (if you've chosen not to have insure coverage through Azimut)
- Bring your “carte vitale” and your European health card (EU member states) - if you don't have one you can order one free of charge online www.ameli.fr
- Check that you have the right equipment
- Take spare batteries and a charger for your electronic devices (camera, video recorder, tracking devices etc)
- Bring some cash and your credit card
- Bring a delicacy from your home country or area to share with the group
- Leave in a good frame of mind: we're going to have a great time even if we happen to not make it to the summit !
- Before leaving: water the plants, empty the rubbish bin, turn off water and gas, and tell your partner that you're going to have a good time (please not by text message), that you've well deserved... If you don't follow the latter recommendation, you'll most probably kick yourself when you get back !
See you on the slopes !
Have great runs with AZIMUT !