You're at ease on your mountain bike and are craving to get out and try heavy stuff thanks to an e-bike for a long weekend ? Eager to go for a single trail binge especially concocted for you ?
Welcome ! Join us in single trail paradise, the mountain biking Mecca in the most sunniest part of the Alps. Our guide will take you riding on our favorite trails in hilarious places, where we'll be able to let go your breaks on beautiful ridges facing the Ecrins mountain range, whilst polishing up your skills in hairpin bends and inclines between mushroom top shaped eroded rock pillars.. Mad scenery, lakes, streams, undergrowth, alpine pasture, scree runs... you name it... a true e-biking delight ! The higher, the longer downhills. And after that ? No worries, we've thought about your comfort too, and got some cosy accomodation sorted out and great food to go with it. We promise you're going to have a good time !
3 days to explore the mountains near Briançon on a good quality e-bike, on truly exceptional trails, heaps of fun in extremely beautiful and amazing surroundings: this is the place to be !
- A long weekend in an exotic and wild place
- Our favorite single trails, quality guaranteed !
- A passionate local mountain biking instructor and guide
- Comfortable and cosy accomodation in twin rooms, or single room on option
- Heaps of fun and a great time are on the menu !
Please wear your cycling clothes on day 1.
We always do our best, but can't guarantee the exact time of arrival at the train station (due to traffic or weather conditions). Therefore we strongly recommend you to buy train tickets that can easily be modified. If you're travelling by car, we'll meet you at one of the indicated meeting points, or at one of the drop off points where you'll be able to leave your car for the entire trip.
Train & TGV access: www.oui.sncf
Make sure the train you plan to catch welcomes mountain bikes.
Car access: www.mappy.fr
Car sharing: www.blablacar.fr
Public parking free of charge can be found in Briançon and Oulx (both unattended).
Skill level ***
You should be at ease with long and demanding descents. You're able to deal with hairpin bends and tackle back-breaking inclines, master your brakes, hop over small tricky sections (tree roots, rocks, steps). Descents are often long and sustained (but progressive as the week goes on), sometimes steep, often technically demanding, sometimes exposed sections but rarely dangerous. You'll end being an expert rider or maybe even an ace in mountain biking skills !
Stamina level **
For keen and passionate mountain bikers or sporty people, who enjoy making efforts and regularly do an outdoor activity. We will ride on progressive 4x4 tracks and may encounter some steep sections. Expect ascents between + 1200 m & + 1400 m approx per day, easily feasable on an e-mountain bike.
Good to know: if you don't have the skills and stamina required, the guide may ask you to leave the group for the well-being of the rest of the group. If any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask us !
5 to 8 participants
Azimut qualified mountain bike instructor & guide.
All our mountain bike guides are certified instructors. We choose them for their sympathy, their teaching and organisational skills. We stay tuned in, work hands in hands, and make sure their working conditions are the best.
Meet our guides and instructors just around the corner
Bring a small day pack large enough (for more detailed advice see gear section) to carry your personal belongings for the day such as (extra) layers, a few snacks, your picnic and a repair kit. All other personal gear not needed for the day will be transferred to our accomodation.
A shuttle transfer will be done, weather conditions permitting.
No ski lifts are used on this trip.
The price includes:
- Trip arrangements & organisation upon arrival
- Minibus transfers from/to one of the indicated meeting points to the departure of the trip
- Minibus shuttle & trailer during the entire trip
- Accomodation on half-board basis in a comfortable gîte hotel in twin rooms
- Home-made picnics
- Azimut local mountain biking guide services for the entire trip (including all the guide's expenses: meals, accomodation and transportation)
- Azimut welcome pack
The price does not include:
- Transportation to/from our meeting point
- Gear rental if required
- Personal insurance
- Any personal extras
- Any other expenses not mentioned under the above section “the price includes”
A 30% deposit, as well as the insurance cost if you choose to subscribe the latter, is required to secure your booking. You will receive a reminder email 35 days prior to departure for the outstanding balance that is due latest 30 days prior to departure.
We strongly recommend you to be properly insured for the chosen activity. You should be covered for medical expenses, personal accident & liabilité, third party risks and rescue (helicopter), as well as trip cancellation or curtailment.
Repatriation and research insurance are mandatory when booking a trip with Azimut. We have a full range of Europ Assistance insurances on offer to suit the trip you select and the risks that it may incur (beware, such insurance only covers European citizens).
Tipping is no obligation. However participants usually hand round an envelope for those who wish to tip the guide.
Azimut's minibuses are used throughout the trip. Not only does this make the trip easier, but it also makes it more pleasant and less binding: we can chat, take a nap and listen to our own music. If luggage transfers are necessary, you have the possibility to use the transfer if you're tired and for any other reason.
Hotels and meals during the trip
Half board in comfortable & cosy gîte hotel, in twin rooms with private bathroom and toilets. Depending on the size of group, you might be sharing a room with someone of the opposite sex.
- Supplement for single room according to availability: € 90
- Breakfasts and dinners are served at the gîte hotel, and picnics are provided for lunch. Picnics consist of good quality, often local products such as ham, saussage, cheese, bread, a chocolate bar and a piece of fruit or dried fruit.
- Snacks: details are important especially after such demanding physical effort ! To boost your energy we've chosen to provide mulebars, organic, vegan, digest and extremely nourishing quality-wise without preservatives, food colouring or additives.
- For certain trips, it's possible to book a single or double room if available, with surcharge.
Accomodation before & after bike trips
Once we've received your booking, we'll provide you with a list of accomodation in case you need to book accomodation before or after the trip. All accomodation on the list is close to the meeting points and you may often benefit from preferential rates.
In case of emergency or delay, you can either contact your guide (a phone number will be provided before departure) or contact Azimut on: (+ 33) 04 92 23 07 24.
Please inform your friends and family with these details before departure.
Free Wifi is available in most places.
Mobile & 4G coverage can be unreliable.
Make sure to wear bright colours, it's good for the soul and give photos a funky edge !
- Mountain bike: all mountain type or enduro bike, with platform pedals or your own clip-in pedals (that we can mount on a rental bike)
- E-bikes: please remember to charge your battery
- Backpack with a 20-25 liter capacity max
- Helmet & sunglasses are mandatory
- Mountain biking gloves (an extra pair of warm gloves can be useful)
- Knee and elbow protectors are highly recommended
- Low hiking shoes with flat soles, or your shoes for your clip-in pedals
- Repair kit including a set of brake pads (that match your brakes), a spare derailleur hanger, a quick link for your own chain, a pump, self adhesive patches, inner tubes with the right dimensions and anything else that may be specific to your bike.
If you don't have the adequate gear for this trip, don’t worry and travel light: we rent out the required gear and hand it over at the start of the trip ! Our equipment is relatively new, if not brand new, of good quality and adapted to your choice of activity.
Prices of rental gear during the entire trip (competitive prices as we only charge you for the number of days of use on the trip):
Important: all our bikes are thoroughly checked before each trip. You are liable for any damage to the bike.
Prices and bike brands may vary according to availabilities and trip levels.
This list of clothes is designed to give you an idea of clothes that it may be a good to have with you. By no means do you need to have the latest brands or the latest gear, but if you need to renew your wardrobe, this guide would be a good start. Prefer lightweight warm and comfortable clothing. This is not just a detail, it makes a hell of a difference !
- Sunglasses and glasses with clear lenses for forest sections and cloudy days (it's important to protect your eyes). Photochromic lenses adapt to light intensity and protection categories range from 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 to optimize visibility from shade to brightness. Very useful.
- A buff and/or thin beanie that you can put under your helmet if it's cold.
- Under layer: breathable long sleeved top as well as leggings to maintain heat. A tip: merino wool is breathable and has anti-bacterial properties and is therefore less likely to smell as opposed to synthetic fabrics. Have this in mind if you need to update your wardrobe.
- Outer layer: a light fleece jacket and/or a light hooded down jacket that you can put under a jacket that has a breathable waterproof membrane (soft shell type or Goretex), easy to slip on during a break. Make sure it's lightweight and compact so it doesn't take up too much space in your backpack
- Bottom layer: mountain biking shorts and leggings in case it gets cold
- Hands: light fleece or soft shell gloves, a pair of silk glove liners to go underneath, warm gloves with a breathable and waterproof membrane.
- Swimming gear: it takes up such little space, it would be a shame not to bring it just in case. Avoid swimming shorts or bermudas, they are not usually allowed in pools or hot water springs baths.
- Good to have: an extra t-shirt in your bike backpack, appreciated after a big sweat on an uphill ride).
- Bike socks: merino wool socks are breathable and have anti-bacterial properties and are less likely to smell as opposed to those made of synthetic fabrics. Remember this if you need to stock up.
- Slippers or crocs are recommended for evening wear. Try charentaises they’re really comfy ! www.charentaises.fr
Odds & ends
Toiletries and first aid kit
- Personal toilet bag
- To make up your a first aid kit, check out the Ifremmont website.
Don't forget to
- Leave our contact details with your friends and family
- Bring your papers and I.D. (passport and visa if necessary)
- Bring your insurance contract number and documents (if you've chosen not to have insure coverage with us)
- Bring your “carte vitale” or your European health card (for EU citizens) - if you don't have one you can order one for free online www.ameli.fr
- Check that you have the right equipment
- Take spare batteries and a charger for your electronic devices such as camera, video recorder, tracking devices
- Bring some cash and your credit card
- Bring a delicacy from your home country or area to share with the group
- Leave in a good frame of mind: we're going to have a great time even if we may not happen to not make it to the summit !
- Before leaving: water the plants, empty the rubbish bin, turn off water and gas, and tell your partner that you're going to have a good time (please not by text message), that you've well deserved... If you don't follow the latter recommendation, you'll most probably kick yourself when you get back!